Sunday, August 23, 2009

love/hate (Frankenstein)


"His words had a strange effect upon me. I compassionated him, and sometimes felt a wish to console him; but when I looked upon him, when I saw the filthy mass that moved and talked, my heart sickened, and my feelings were altered to those of horror and hatred." (113)

Deep down, Victor had a soft spot for the monster that he created. At times, he wanted to make the creature feel better and be a friend to him. However, Mary Shelley let the monsters outside appearance change Victor's feelings towards consoling him. The "soft spot" quickly disappeared and the creature was once again rejected and forced to face a life of loneliness.

1 comment:

  1. nice image :)

    Check for possessives; it's an interesting moment to key in upon -- where Victor feels sympathy for that moment

    ReplyDelete