Monday, August 24, 2009

Foreshadowing (Frankenstein)

". . . I was possessed by a kind of nightmare. I felt the feind's grasp in my neck, and could not free myself from it; groans and cries rung in my ears." (145)

Some say a nightmare is "A demon or spirit once thought to plague sleeping people." (http://www.answers.com/topic/nightmare) Victor's life was taken over by the monster in the way that all he could think about how much destruction the creature he created was causing. Mary Shelley uses this event to foreshadow Victor's death. Although the creature did not directly or physicly kill Victor, he did drive him towards insanity and to his end.

1 comment:

  1. does the word nightmare really necessitate an outside reference? To what extent is this enlightening the text?

    At the same time, it is an absolutely solid example of foreshadowing

    ReplyDelete